[BC] Digital Radio in Australia - Progress??

Peter Smerdon psmerdon
Sat Oct 15 06:05:55 CDT 2005

(Barry - I'm CC-ing you on this, 'cos I still can't seem to post to the
l ist - please post it for me)

The Australian Federal Minister for Communications announced the plans
for digital radio yesterday.

In a nutshell, it's Eureka147, 128kbps offered to each existing
broadcaster (comercial, govt, and high-power community), and a 6 year
freeze on new licenses being issued.
The real zinger (for me) is that there is no requirement for
simulcasting - and the Minister concedes that DAB may never fully
replace analog radio. Hey, each licensee just got an extra license free!!

The departmental press release can be seen here:
http://www.dcita.gov.au/newsroom/media_releases/framework_for_the_introduction_of_digital_radio

The commercial radio industry group's reaction is at:
http://www.commercialradio.com.au/

So how's 128kbps MP2 going to sound compared to 96kbps "HD"Radio?