[BC] RAIN report: HD Radio s Creative Thinking

Robert Orban rorban
Sat Oct 15 04:20:37 CDT 2005

At 09:18 PM 10/14/2005, you wrote:
>From: DANA PUOPOLO <dpuopolo at usa.net>
>Subject: Re: [BC] RAIN report: HD Radio s Creative Thinking
>
>I have heard AAC plus, and even at 96K can clearly hear its artifacts.
>I would wager that most women can (clearly) hear them too. But after all,
>women only represent 55-60% of the audience, so why do they matter?
>When you remove 95+ % of anything, it's not going to sound nearly as good as
>the original.
>
>So my comparison IS valid!

While you are of course entitled to your preference, you seem to be
unusually sensitive to SBR's artifacts, at least according to the
double-blind listening tests made by Coding Technologies, not to mention
3GPP2 (3rd Generation Partnership Project 2), ISMA (Internet Streaming
Media Alliance), DVB (Digital Video Broadcasting), the DVD Forum, Digital
Radio Mondiale, and 3GPP (3rd Generation Partnership Project), all of which
have standardized on aacPlusV1 or aacPlusV2 and/or accepted the aacPlus
codec as part of their system specifications. I am suspect all of the
listening panels included women, as these are all serious organizations and
did not make their choices frivolously.

Bob Orban