[BC] bird smaple thing...

Cowboy curt
Fri Oct 14 20:34:31 CDT 2005

On Friday 14 October 2005 07:41 pm, Ron Youvan wrote:
>> Speaking of which, I'm looking for a Bird "Sniffer" for the FM band.
>> I'd like to get one that is about 30 dB or 5000 Watts or so.  This is
>> the type of device that goes into a Bird sample line, it looks like the
>> type of element that goes into a Model 43,  but and has a BNC spigot on
>> it to hook a whatever.  Does anyone by chance have one they would be
>> willing to sell or trade?
>
>   I have (not for sale) such a Bird slug, but it is a 30 dB directional coupler,
>a lovely thing to have in the tool box.  Why not call Bird and see if they will
>sell you one.

 I've been known to fake it.

 Make a small U shaped loop, out of 4 inches of wire ( well insulated ) or so,
 and slide it in the hole where a slug would go.

 No, it's not a calibrated reference, but one can easily control the amount
 of sample by how far in, or not, the loop is, and its proximity to the center
 conductor.

 Did I mention WELL insulated ?

 If a Bird sniffer is available, that's prefered, obviously.

--
Cowboy

http://cowboys.homeip.net

This fortune is false.