[BC] RE: EAS

Tom Taggart tpt
Fri Oct 14 19:40:12 CDT 2005

The heart of the government's plan for emergency alerting is NWS, or "all
hazards" radio. Problem is that the governmnet does not want to put any
money into what is essentially a primitive narrow-band system designed to
alert boaters.

There aren't enough channels to provide for effective coverage of
different regions.  So we have a network of low-powered transmitters that
often do not provide coverage of metropolitan areas, while interferring
with each other.

So the broadcasters are drafted to provide a transmission system that will
actually reach the public.

The problem is now that the government will not provide adequate funding
for this "all hazards radio." Leaving the operation to the NWS staff, who
may or may not understand how the system works.

Unfortunately, I fully expect the result of the pending EAS inquiry by the
FCC to result in the usual bureaucratic solution to any problem:  more
rules mandating relay of the emergency messages.  Whether or not they mean
anything, as in the case of NWS Pittsburgh, who insist on sending
messaages consisting solely of header and eom (no voice message.

(Yes they have been told they have a problem.  yes the system has been
explained to them--by a fellow from the Charleston NWS office.  No, they
really don't give a damm.)

Until I see a real effort on the part of the government to build up staff
and transmission system for their system, I see no margin in cooperating
with these people.  We are merely the fall guys when their system fails.