[BC] Model names - was National NC-121

Cowboy curt
Fri Oct 14 16:03:50 CDT 2005

On Thursday 13 October 2005 04:05 pm, Harold Hallikainen wrote:
>I used to run a Heath DX-60, then moved to a Viking Ranger and a National
>NC-300. Long time ago...
>
>I heard that the reason Intel moved from numbers (like 80586) to names
>(like Pentium) is because you can trademark names, but not numbers...

 And what a pain that was...
 What's the new i586 processor ? Pentium.
 How about the i686 ? Pentium
 OK, how about the new multi-threaded "P-4's" ? Oh,
 those are all i386.
 Well, then what's the i386. An i386.
 Yeah, THAT's clear as mud.

 Then, of course, there's the three or four completely different
 and incompatible Celerons, as well as.....

 Never mind.

 Fortunately, none of us would have that confusion
 between a DX-60 and a DX-50 !

--
Cowboy

http://cowboys.homeip.net

My theology, briefly, is that the universe was dictated but not
signed.
		-- Christopher Morley