[BC] Bird sniffer...

Burt I. Weiner biwa
Fri Oct 14 15:43:30 CDT 2005

I'd given considerable thought to just that but I hate to take something
apart that works and may be of value to someone.  You have to see my garage
to understand just how far this craziness has gone.  I will probably modify
a slug as you suggested.

Burt

At 01:17 PM 10/14/2005 -0400, you wrote:
>From: K7qa at aol.com
>Subject: Re: [BC] bird sample thing...
>To: broadcast at radiolists.net
>

>In a message dated 10/13/2005 10:18:36 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
>biwa at earthlink.net writes:
>
>Speaking  of which, I'm looking for a Bird "Sniffer" for the FM band.  I'd
>like  to get one that is about 30 dB or 5000 Watts or so.  This is the type
>of device that goes into a Bird sample line, it looks like the type of
>element that goes into a Model 43,  but and has a BNC spigot on it to  hook
>a whatever.
>

>Burt....If all you are looking for is a relative sample and frequency
>response and calibration is not all that important, you can build your
>own.  Take
>the guts out a Bird slug you never use and drill a hole in the top  and
>install
>a chassis-mount BNC female connector. Take a piece of #12  solid  copper wire
>and form it into a small square U-shaped loop with each  end soldered onto
>the
>BNC terminals. Reduce the insertion coupling  by reducing the size of the U
>loop and increasing the spacing to the  insulated end of the slug. I've made
>several and they work  splendidly.
>
>tm

Burt I. Weiner Associates
Broadcast Technical Services