[BC] EAS

Larry Fuss lfuss2
Fri Oct 14 13:58:42 CDT 2005

> Federal mandates of that type must be federally funded and then
ENFORCED.

True.  Like most broadcasters, I resented having to buy new equipment.  And
then I hated the fact that the entire system in Mississippi didn't work, and
NWS was one of the main problems.  I went to meetings, I called other
broadcasters, I called the FCC.  Finally, I gave up in disgust and just did
the RMTs and RWTs that I was required to do.  If there was bad weather at 2
am, somebody went to the radio station and handled it.

American Samoa is another story.  My station is the LP-1, but there is no
PEP.  We have nobody to monitor.  And NWS there doesn't even do weekly
tests.  Most of the other broadcasters don't even have EAS gear.  (The FCC
could reap a bonanza on fines if they went down there, but they don't even
know where it is).  I do RMTs and RWTs, but it's a waste of time to do
anything more.  I've been to meetings, I've talked to other broadcasters,
and I've called the FCC.  Same result.

Larry Fuss, President
South Seas Broadcasting, Inc.
Pago Pago, American Samoa 96799