[BC] bird sample thing...

K7qa@aol.com K7qa
Fri Oct 14 02:10:36 CDT 2005

In a message dated 10/13/2005 10:18:36 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
biwa at earthlink.net writes:

Speaking  of which, I'm looking for a Bird "Sniffer" for the FM band.  I'd
like  to get one that is about 30 dB or 5000 Watts or so.  This is the type
of device that goes into a Bird sample line, it looks like the type of
element that goes into a Model 43,  but and has a BNC spigot on it to  hook
a whatever.

Burt....If all you are looking for is a relative sample and frequency
response and calibration is not all that important, you can build your own.  Take
the guts out a Bird slug you never use and drill a hole in the top  and install
a chassis-mount BNC female connector. Take a piece of #12  solid  copper wire
and form it into a small square U-shaped loop with each  end soldered onto the
BNC terminals. Reduce the insertion coupling  by reducing the size of the U
loop and increasing the spacing to the  insulated end of the slug. I've made
several and they work  splendidly.

tm