[BC] EAS

WFIFeng@aol.com WFIFeng
Thu Oct 13 20:52:20 CDT 2005

In a message dated 10/13/2005 6:06:43 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
monsterfm at monsterfm.com writes:

>   What's wrong with alerting on ALL alerts (assuming that, if it's
>  receiving a signal, the disaster could potentially affect that area).
>  Personally, (having lived through numerous tornadoes and hurricanes) I'd
>  prefer to have TOO MANY alerts to having NONE AT ALL.

Because to 99.999% of the General Public, too many "irrelevant alerts"
becomes the "Chicken Little Syndrome". The thing goes off one too many times at 3am
and they'll chuck it out the window, smash it, or rip the battery out. All
done.

In order to be effective, it has to be relevant. That means more
sophistication. To make that simple to the user means it won't be cheap. (Combining it
with GPS, or cell-cites for example.) To make it cheap means much user input
would be required. They just won't bother.

Willie...