[BC] Anthropomorphisms (WAS:National NC-121)

WFIFeng@aol.com WFIFeng
Thu Oct 13 20:41:04 CDT 2005

In a message dated 10/13/2005 1:53:06 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
RandyShaffer at ClearChannel.com writes:

> Does anyone give their transmitters names of their own? Our 1950 (RCA)back-
> up was REX while our main(RCA) was KORG. Both had/have name plates on the
> front.

Our old transmitter (since donated to Science) was called "Ol' Bessie". The
new one is "Harry". Our automation system is "Robbie". The Tx control is called
"Frankie". We use those names when discussing the respective gear. Everyone
knows exactly what they mean.

"Ol' Bessie" was chosen because it's the name of a tired old horse, about to
be shipped off to the glue factory.
"Harry" because it's a Harris box.
"Robbie" because it's a robot.
"Frankie" because when I was programming the unit, I had it on my desk,
connected to several resistors to give it some "readings" to measure every few
hours. My former boss, upon hearing the relays ticking one morning, left me the
following note: "Willie, your little Frankenstien here thought it was taking
readings this morning at 7am."

So... now you know. Sorry you asked? ;)

Willie...