[BC] Emergency supplies

khcs@juno.com khcs
Wed Oct 12 17:07:30 CDT 2005

Gary replied:

>My mountaintop site doesn't seem to have mice...just chipmunks.  Nothing has
bothered the bottled water.  The peanuts are in metal cans.  IIRC, I got the
canned nuts at Sam's Club.  Emergency supplies need to be kept at this site,
because it is often necessary to snowshoe in the last 3/4 mile.  It doesn't
help if a freak storm prevents getting back to the vehicle.  I keep similar
supplies in my Jeep.  I could be stranded in it, too.  I was just thinking
that some canned soup would be good to add to the transmitter larder.  OTOH,
canned beans, although being a good source of protein, could be somewhat devastating.

Yes, good planning.  At our local amateur radio club meeting last night, someone brought up the subject of Ensure for emergency rations.  High in nutirient value and it has a long shelf life.  And, better than beans, fer sure!  <g>

Glen Kippel
KHCS
Palm Desert, CA