[BC] Tech. competence

Robert Meuser Robertm
Wed Oct 12 07:05:38 CDT 2005

please see in line

WFIFeng at aol.com wrote:
> In a message dated 10/12/2005 5:01:53 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
> reader at oldradio.com writes:
>

>>There is a big difference. Do you "believe" a transmitter is off just
>> because the meter says there is no plate voltage? You have the faith
>> that you can just open the door and dive in?
>

> No. That's what the shorting stick is for. Do you have "faith" in it that it
> will ground-out the hazardous voltages before you start work?

No a shorting stick needs to be checked at least by an ohm meter which has been
checked.

> This is not a smart-a** comment, here, this is a serious question: How the
> heck do you ever get *any* work done? Do you trust your own voltmeter? Do you
> trust the shorting stick? Do you trust the breakers in the transmitter, itself?
> Where do you draw the line, how do you draw it, and then how do you know you
> *can* work on the bloomin' thing?

Trust nothing believe nothing if death is the alternative

> As for me, I trust all of the above, and I also *use all* of them *long*
> before reaching into that cabinet.

Too bad for you

> As I said, if I were half the dolt you've made me out to be, I wouldn't be
> alive today. Not only do I deal with literally lethal voltages at work, I also
> deal with them in my Ham radio hobby here at home. *Alone.*
>

>> I once had to kick
>> someone out of a power supply just barely saving his life because he
>> believed the meters. I question (for good reason) anything I see or
>> read. Just because the government or the bible or the plate voltmeter
>> said it does not mean it is true. Everything should be questioned.
>

> You are exactly correct. Nobody has ever had to do that with me, because I am
> not that stupid, thank you.

so you would question the bible. News to these lists

>>   We would not have had any human progress if there were not people
>> who questioned things as they were.
>

> Yet, somehow, you've come to this conclusion that I don't logically question
> things? Interesting.

 From your responses I KNOW you dont question anything.

>>Heck, there would be freely
>> available bibles and we wold all be under the dictatorship of the
>> Pope if there were not those who did not accept the status
>> quo.
>

> Exactly... and I am one of those who questioned it when it was presented to
> me. I have never stopped questioning it, either.
>

>> There those who think and question and those who don't.
>

> Well, I can assure you that I am of the former, and *not* the latter.

I could cut and paste numerous posts from you that disprove your point.

> This is the kind of thing that gave Matt Howell the idea that this Forum is
> "useless"... people unjustly calling one-another's competence into question and
> bickering. It really does need to end.

I think certain CC personal have a hard on for these lists because of those who
unjustly criticize their company. I fully understand that emotion but I would
counter on the side of restraint and that they remain members of these lists