[BC] Fruitcake, Claxton and Barbecue

Jay Braswell braswell
Wed Oct 12 00:01:21 CDT 2005

> While we are dropping hints, I like pulled pork BBQ.  No cole slaw.  We
> don't eat cole slaw on our BBQ.  They do that over near Paducah.  Back
> home
> in Georgia, we'll cut you if you try to put cole slaw on our BBQ sandwich.

I missed the original post about Claxton, Georgia. I spent awhile at "One
Forty-Seven (and 107.1 FM)...SUPER C-L-A" with Walter Donald Sports, Sr.
(and Mizz Ida Mae).

Yes, Claxton is called the "Fruitcake Capital of the World". Thing is, they
haven't baked any fruitcakes since 1962. The World Health Organization has
strict limts on the number of fruitcakes in circulation at any given time.
Apparently, there's no consumption...they just keep getting passed from one
poor soul to another!

Barbecue. Broaching this subject is akin to discussing religion and politics
at the same time, but I like to life on the edge. As ANY good ol' boy (or
gal) from southeast Georgia will tell you, this is how REAL barbecue is
prepared...

Boston butts are SLOWLY (the fire is built around 3AM, meat put on the pit
around 7AM...ready to be served by 11 AM) cooked over PECAN wood...not
hickory. When fully cooked, each butt is wrapped in several layers of
aluminum foil (tin foil in Georgia), and kept on the pit. This keeps the
meat both hot, moist and tender. When an order is placed, an appropriate
sized "hunk" of pork is sliced from the butt, which is then CHOPPED (finely,
but not minced), and (if for a sandwich) raked with the cleaver onto a piece
of "light" bread. Mild (vinegar based) sauce is liberally poured onto the
chopped pork, and another piece of "light" bread is placed on top. Ladies
and Germans, I'm here to tell you...that there is some kinda damned good
eatin'! I'll see y'all at Vandy's BBQ, W. Vine Street in Uptown
Statesboro...serving hungry Bulloch Countians since 1937.

I'm still jovial,
His Jovial Jayness