[BC] RE: WMOXThump

harold stanton k5gvr
Tue Oct 11 18:16:43 CDT 2005

Dave,
You are correct, the thyratron supply was one of the only designs I found
that gave that "thump" at carrier on. The old RCA board that was there was
all tube type and was never turned off.
  GE made a similar supply but I don't know of any of those that made it
into the MW band.
The thyratron supply was a rather short lived incarnation of three phase
rectification as I suppose that after a few rounds of trouble-shooting and
improvements in the mercury vapor rectifiers for inverse standoff that
"design" drifted into oblivion.
Willie, the "thump" did not originate in the audio chain, as many times I
brought it up with the audio patched out. And it was far more prevalent on
low voltage as the transmitter was configured as 1-10kw. On low power the
thyratrons triggering time was staggered somewhat as a switching supply is
now.