[BC] Air America

Barry Mishkind barry
Tue Oct 11 15:24:46 CDT 2005

At 07:15 PM 10/10/2005, Howell, Matt wrote
>-no wonder Mike left. See you kids later....
>
>Matt Howell
>Clear Channel Sarasota
>----------------------
>Sent from my BlackBerry Wireless Handheld thingy

         So, Matt,

         Normally, I'd send a private note, but
         since I am in England, this will have to do.

         What do you want from this list?

         Please tell me.... I *do* want to know.

         I can't recall you ever posting anything
         on this list before.

         On first reaction to your note,
         we really have only a couple of options.

         1. a moderator "passes" on every post
              before it goes on line.  I would like
              a life, thank you ... so this is no go.

         2. The general readership shares items
              and keeps the discussion positive.

             Again: what is it that you are interested in?
             We have no idea, except you don't
               like people discussing the polarization
             of radio programming.  (Politics can
             go to the AF list, although some folks
             just can't resist "poking" a bit on this one.)

             Got any good stories from hurricane recovery?
             Got any interesting reports on IBOC installation
             in your area?  Some tricks, some tips?
             Why not tell us some of the really good things
             that Clear Channel has done this month?

         3. We all go home and delete this list.  Keep
             only the "captive" lists for each company
              going, and never share knowledge or
             experience with others.  I reject this option.

         4. Bash and lash anyone who makes even a
             typo?  There are other lists on other
             servers where you can go bash people
            and talk about "whose is bigger." Not here.

         5. Ban anyone who even "breathes" a word
             that can be labelled "partisan".... Given the
             the way the world is today, it is inevitable
             that the occasional comment will be made.

             And what do we do then? Shut the list down
             until everyone cools off?   Not an option.

It is my humble opinion that the answer is to increase
the signal to noise ratio by ignoring the negative, and
come right back - in fact, why not make an effort to
respond to any negative post with some other topic,
any topic, of a positive nature?

We'd all be better off that way than having hundreds and
hundreds of people read that you don't like a
particular thread.

barry