[BC] Satellite EAS

Phil Alexander dynotherm
Mon Oct 10 16:03:36 CDT 2005

On 7 Oct 2005 at 6:19, Sid Schweiger wrote:

> >>If there is a REAL emergency the EMP will have fried the satellites so
> you will know to switch to radio that won't be fried.<<
>
> Only if that radio happened to be turned off at the time.  From
> Northwestern University's web site:
>
> "Although the electric field created from an EMP lasts for only a short
> time, its effects can be devastating. It is predicted that a single high
> altitude burst 200 miles above Kansas could propagate an EMP enveloping
> the entire United States. Electrical systems connected to things that
> can conduct current like wires, antennas, and metal objects will suffer
> significant damage. EMP effects on electronics include interference of
> radio frequency links, irreparable damage to microcircuits, and even the
> disabling of satellites. Fortunately, electronic equipment that is
> turned off is less likely to be damaged."

While EMP attack against terrestrial electronics is possible, most mil
hardware is hardened against it. However, a single burst in the Clarke
belt at about 90 deg W would devastate commercial and many leased mil
comm channels - for months, if not years without loss of life or other
damage. Would we retaliate (except in kind) if the only loss was birds?

Phil Alexander, CSRE, AMD
(a Div. of Advanced Parts Corporation)
Ph. (317) 335-2065   FAX (317) 335-9037