[BC] Comments about Meridian MS

khcs@juno.com khcs
Mon Oct 10 10:46:16 CDT 2005

Mike suggested:

>MRE's (and some drinking beverages) should be kept in your service vehicle if you go to any location which puts you in an isolated location...such as a transmitter site up in the hills/mountains and the weather/conditions turns on you or you get trapped. As a rule, my wife and me carry and annually swap out granola and power bars for the winter.

Yeah, good suggestions.  Once my car died while on the way to the transmitter site shortly after midnight.  It was 5 miles to the nearest house, and raining.  I was only wearing a light jacket because I only expected to be in my warm car and warm transmitter building.  After the rain stopped and the clouds blew away, radiation cooling set in and the temperature dropped precipitously.  I was on the verge of hypothermia when a car stopped, at 0645, to see if they could help.  They certainly could!

Since then, I have always kept an old (but very warm) sweater, a windbreaker, and a watch cap in the back of my vehicles.  You never know when you might need them.

And, yes Virginia, it does get cold in the desert.

Glen Kippel
KHCS
Palm Desert, CA