[BC] RAIN report: HD Radio's Creative Thinking

mbergman@kenwoodusa.com reader
Mon Oct 10 08:04:30 CDT 2005

This was cross-posted on another forum, so I'd like to post my reply
here as well.

I've followed the discussions on this in the NRSC.  Cox asked the
NRSC to endorse a creative scheme.  The NRSC decided not to (that's
the short version).  I was very much against modifying the channel
numbering scheme for a variety of reasons, and pretty vocal about it.

The problem is that Multicasting is already launched.  This would
have been a terrific initiative in 2003.  Actually, some people in
the industry (Kenwood, iBiquity, some broadcasters) had this
conversation about 18 months ago, and the receivers on the market or
coming to the market now are the result.  If you look at Kenwood,
Radiosophy, Polk and Boston Acoustic protos, they all use the
frequency with some suffix to indicate the multicast channel.  The
suffix for the first multicast channel (after Main) is -2, or Ch2, or
HD2, etc., but there's always a '2' as the numeric element of the suffix.

There should be about a dozen announced radios by the end of January,
and all of them are using this suffix approach.  We're still waiting
for more to arrive, but indications are that the logjam is clearing
around Dec'05-Jan'06.

If we change channel systems, you end up using the current "frequency
+ suffix" approach for several years before there's any quantity of
product with a "new, creative" scheme.  I know there aren't many
receivers in the market now, but if you have a multicast channel on
the air, you can't really ignore the growing installed
base.  Infinity and others are already using the "frequency + suffix"
approach in their marketing of their multicast channels.

So on balance, the NRSC decided to endorse the "frequency + suffix"
approach, and discontinue any further investigation of "new,
creative" channel schemes (Cox decided to do the market research
about when NRSC dead-ended it).

It's just too late in the game.  I think the engineers understand
this--they're used to project plans, and understand scope creep,
etc., but the marketing people don't seem to understand how
multicasting broadcasters are already rather committed to the current
system, or the huge force it would take to move the receiver industry.

Of the entire receiver industry, only a few are even participating in
the discussion.  One maker I know of simply cancelled their multicast
receiver plan for 2006 due to this controversy.  It's a bad situation
if you are broadcasting IBOC, since it's only going to cause the car
OEMs and other key players to sit on their hands until it is resolved.

Worst is that the receiver industry simply isn't interested in
changing.  We know the broadcasters are stuck with the current
scheme, if they want any listeners on multicast channels for the next
few years, so by the time you can walk into Best Buy and find a "new,
creative" channel scheme radio, the current system will be thoroughly
and completely a part of the landscape.

It's too bad, since Cox has some interesting ideas, but it is two
years too late.

Mike Bergman

<http://www.kurthanson.com/archive/news/100405/index.asp>http://www.kurthanson.com/archive/news/100405/index.asp

 > There's an interesting article whereby Cox is purportedly re-addressing the

 > HD Radio user interface to the listener.  Apparently, RBR has also
presented

<http://www.rbr.com/epaper/pages/october05/05-194_news1.html>http://www.rbr.com/epaper/pages/october05/05-194_news1.html