[BC] Comments about Meridian MS

Jerry Mathis thebeaver32
Mon Oct 10 01:12:00 CDT 2005

Well, it's been interesting to read all the posts over the weekend
concerning the Meridian MS radio market. I've learned a lot about what has
gone before me here. As Spock would say, "Fascinating". I'd heard some
"comments" from the staff about some of the other broadcast owners from days
gone by, and, well.....if you can't say anything good about somebody,
then...you know.......

I've been the Engineer here for Clear Channel since Feb 1 if memory serves.
I've been through two hurricanes (Dennis and Katrina), and a devastating
lightning strike from a third (offshoot of Rita) that we're still recovering
from. I've done more physical work during this time than the previous 7 or 8
years combined, I'd guess.

Yes, I take care of a lot of stations, but it's been pretty focused. As Mike
Gideon pointed out, I don't have all the responsibilities of a large-market
staff. It hasn't all been Radio Engineering, though; in Tupelo, I wired the
new studio/office building addition for telephone and LAN services.

Hurricane Dennis was bad, but Katrina was a downright disaster. I haven't
talked about it much, because it was so much worse further to the south. But
Meridian was reduced to pretty much 3rd world conditions for about a week
after Katrina. There was practically no power in Meridian for almost 48
hours after the storm. Getting around was difficult because of the trees and
power lines across the roads. The power being out meant no stores open,
including gas stations, grocery stores, restaurants, fast-food outlets,
pharmacies, etc. I went 36 hours with no food, because there was none to be
had. When a Winn-Dixie finally opened, I stood in line for an hour to get
some basic nourishment: bread, tuna, peanut butter and jelly, mayonnaise. No
meat or fresh vegetables available. The stores all threw it all out because
the power failure had spoiled it all.

I rode out a good bit of Katrina out at the WJDQ transmitter site. We tried
to keep a balky generator working to stay on the air. Finally the generator
died for good, and we left the site, by that time I considered it too
dangerous to stay anyway. Fortunately, the studio site had a god backup
generator that ran on NG. It ran continuously for 4 or 5 days until
commercial power was restored.

The day after the  hurricane we got the generator running again, but it
required babysitting to keep it going. This went on for about 5 days until
power up the hill out of Meridian was restored. I arrived in Meridian Sunday
night before the hurricane hit, and didn't leave until the following
Saturday night.

While I may be the only designated Engineer, I want to add that the staff of
the stations, including the Operations Manager and General Manager, both did
everything they could to assist me in keeping things going. Without them it
wouldn't have been possible.

After several days, it was obvious our generator wasn't going to last much
longer, so I called for help. As Mike said, when I need it I can call in the
cavalry. I tried not to call much, because I knew the cavalry had its hands
full already, but we needed another generator really bad. Within 24 hours we
had a mobile backup generator that could run WJDQ at full power. The GM
worked hard finding some gas stations with power so we could get diesel fuel
to keep it going. This involved a couple of 55 gallon drums in the back of
his pickup, and a hand pump.

I also want to credit the staff back at the studios who, even though many
had homes and family they were concerned about, stayed at the studios to
broadcast local emergency information. We had local authorities, and
representatives from the power companies, come in and give reports daily as
to what was going on. We took phone calls. During the storm, we had **0ne**
working phone line in the building. Our WAN went out early because the
circuit was routed through New Orleans. The next day, we got a few more
phone lines working, and we re-configured the phones so people could call
in. We used one line for dial-up computer access so we could get basic news
and weather. We were pretty much cut off from the rest of the world for a
couple of days after the storm. The local TV stations were off the air, and
the cable was out, and we had very limited Internet.

I could go on, but I will stop here, as I'm sure many others have similar
and worse stories. CC Meridian suffered no damage to its facilities, other
than some rotated satellite dishes, which was a miracle. Hattiesburg lost 3
towers at their cluster.

Before I came to work for Clear Channel, I took a few shots at them myself
on these lists. Having now worked for them, and having read the things
others say, I can say that many of you who criticize Clear Channel just
don't know what you're talking about, or at the least you are just plain
wrong. An example: we have real live DJ's at our stations who have their own
shows. We are NOT bringing in voice-tracked shows from other CC markets.
Yes, we use voice tracking, but it is used as a time-saving and show
improvement technique. This is the same as EVERY OTHER STATION I HAVE WORKED
AT. So I don't think I'm giving away any corporate secrets here.

Oh, and by the way....there was a note from Corporate in my e-mail last
week, stating that they appreciated the extra hard work the affected Clear
Channel Engineers had done through this hurricane season, and promised to
show their appreciation. My last paycheck showed the followup to that
promise: a SUBSTANTIAL  bonus. Now THAT's something I've not gotten from ANY
of my previous employers...............'nuff said.

Jerry Mathis
Clear Channel Radio, Tupelo & Meridian MS