NOT....Re: [BC] Clear Channel Wants More?

DANA PUOPOLO dpuopolo
Sat Oct 8 23:01:58 CDT 2005

Hmmm..

I don't hate Clear Channel at all! Actually, their stations are better run
engineering wise them most. Clear Channel's problem isn't with me, it's with
the disconnect they have with many former listeners. let me explain....

I have a friend who knows broadcasting only because he runs a data center
(which has some broadcast clients), and has me (and other friends) in the
business. His kids, however know of Clear Channel and see it as not a nice
company. Now, no one told them not to like CC. No one even talks about radio
in his house....yet his kids see Clear Channel as bad.

They listen to the radio and are bored with what they hear. They try to buy a
concert ticket and can't afford it any more. Clear Channel gets blamed. It
miight not even be their fault, but they still get blamed.

In some ways, Clear Channel's attitude has done them in.  Last year they had a
billboard campaign that asked: "What as Clear Channel done for you today?". It
was probably the worst thing they could have done, as everyone I know (even
people not in radio) perceived it as both arrogant and self serving.  Trust
me, it did NOT enhance teir reputation with the public!

CC's problem isn't with broadcast.net people hating them...they need to be
worried about the public hating them. Many do.

Clear Channel needs to come up with a REALLY GOOD public relations campaign.
The also need to lower the arrogance a few notches....and actually extend a
few olive branches.

I hope you don't leave, Mike. Even though we don't always agree, I respect you
as a person and your opinions. I hope you feel the same of me.

-D