[BC] Common Sense: Paying attention; was... Silence sense?

Barry Mishkind barry
Sat Oct 8 09:01:46 CDT 2005

At 07:40 AM 10/7/2005, Gary Peterson wrote
>Silence sensors are nice but they don't catch a whole plethora of problems.

         Precisely my point.
         I came down off a mountain site a couple of years
         ago, and discovered the transmitter I was
         just at was throwing a dead carrier.

         Since I was in an isolated hilly region, it took me
         over 15 minutes before I could get a
         cell signal. I could hear dead air.

         Although there was a silent sense light, the
         DJ on the other station apparently ignored it.
         When I was finally able to call through, he
         professed an inability to do anything at all
         on the other station. So, I suggested he
         call the PD.

         His reply was along the lines of "Who's that?"

         My call to the PD, eventually was answered
         with "Oh, that was a program that must have
         run short. It will correct itself on the hour."

         result: 25+ minutes of dead air.

         This serves the community, how?

         (I also loved the hourly opportunity to
         hear the local news insert "live and local
         24/7" ... running over the talk network
         music and chat. )

>" That's something that can be fixed with corporate policy. For example,
>Nashville has silince sensors that alarm in the central control point, with
>a tuner that can be used for monitoring. It isn't constant human monitoring,
>but catches the problems.
>Mike Gideon "

         It is not "constant human monitoring" it is ANY
         human monitoring that is missing.