[BC] silence sense

Scott Cason scott
Fri Oct 7 14:41:40 CDT 2005

>>Years ago the program director of our station even ran a radio all night
by
his bedside.  The jocks used to claim he listened 24 hours a day.

Not just PDs did that.  Owners did too.  I worked for an AM/FM in
Hawkinsville Georgia and I swear, nothing happened on the air of either
station, that the owner didn't notice and call me about it.  If the
automation joined the top of the hour news a couple of seconds late, or
early, Jim Sr would be on the phone.  Well, if it joined early I could hear
the tone two seconds before ABC news, but either way he was listening and
cared about what was going on his stations.

>>Possibly a solution would be for all the stations in a market to forward
their main office number to common answering service.

Actually, a better solution is being done by the public radio stations in
Louisville now.  There are three stations under one roof and transmitter
site.  They have a room set aside at the studios as kind of a "master
control" area for the three stations.  There are remote controls for the
three transmitters, off air monitors for the three stations and automation
work stations for the three automation systems in there.  One person watches
them overnights and on weekends when the stations are not live.  One person
watching the three stations.  That person is usually a college student from
U of L and they are paying them minimum wage.  Very bottom rung job, but
it's effective.

Scott Cason
LaGrange Communications, LLC
502-213-0024