[BC] TV tower kills birds

Phil Longenecker plongenecker
Thu Oct 6 14:14:47 CDT 2005

Unlikely, in my estimation. Unless I saw it with my own eyes, (I never
have), I doubt these stories. Never are there any photgraphs, there are
always LARGE estimates of how many birds were taken by scavengers, and
the coup de grace - multply species flocking together. More than two
species flocking together can cause some really cool bird fights.

Maybe I live too far north, because I usually see the species listed in
the story flocking during daylight hours.

And, as far as tall buildings go, lights out cause the windows to act as
mirrors, which attract the birds, thinking there are others to flock
with when the bird is seeing its reflection.

There was (is) the story about the Eau Claire tower site where 30,000
birds died one night. That's one bird per second for 8 hours and 20
minutes non-stop. There weren't any photographs of that one, either, as
most of the birds had been removed by the scavengers. I wonder how many
cats it took for that.

Phil Longenecker, CE
Red Rock Radio, Duluth, MN
KQDS FM KQDS AM WWAX KZIO