NOT....Re: [BC] Clear Channel Wants More?

FrankGott@aol.com FrankGott
Thu Oct 6 00:38:45 CDT 2005

A few divergent views among list members about what I listen to in the
Greenfield/Sq Hill part of the Burgh every day.

dpuopolo at usa.net writes:
 I'm in Pittsburgh typing this. When I got here, I scanned the radio dial,
 found nothing that interested me and went back to XM.

DHultsman5 at aol.com writes:
 I was in Pittsburg Monday and Tuesday and found several stations that were
 not the same old   "copycat formats"

scott at fybush.com writes:
<<  On the FM dial, WYEP 91.3 is a very good AAA outlet, if you're into that
 sort of thing. <snip> It's also a great tower town - several big AM DAs in
the North Hills,
 including the 8-tower (2x4) 970 site in a cemetery (!), and some venerable
 self-supporters on Mt. Washington, across the river just south of downtown.

Most interesting that in the looonng version of the above posts the
mega-chain stations weren't mentioned.  Country has zoomed near the top of the
"ratings" with Infinity's WDSY doing battle with a network of regional Froggy
rimshots.  The heritage CC classic rocker WDVE seems to have shortened its playlist.
They had a brief rein as the #1 station.  They are the play-by-play station
for the Steelers.  Football and familiar, smart, funny personalities guarantee
them an audience.

The heritage blowtorch KDKA hasn't switched on IBUZ for reasons discussed on
this list in the past.  Neither have any of the other AMs.

KD is trying to reinvent itself after being knocked off its pedestal by CC's
FM talker WPGB.

WJAS is unique and serves the markets large older generation.

WSHH is the station I listen to in the dentists chair.

My employer KQV wasn't mentioned (disclaimer:  this post contains my thoughts
and doesn't necessarily reflect the views of other members of management).
Thirty years as an all-newser.  Perhaps the nations last remaining
independently owned all-newser.  A clean signal transmitted from 5 self-supporters easily
seen from McKnight Rd.

Chuck Leavens piped in a few posts ago.  His station puts out a great signal
from the self supporter overlooking downtown.  WDUQ recently upgraded its
transmitter.  They have a great mix of news, jazz, and NPR.

The other noncoms also do a better than average job.  WYEP is building new
studios complete with auditorium for live performances.  You may have heard the
syndicated Pittsburgh Symphony broadcasts from WQED.  CMU's station WRCT is
low in power yet high in quality with local talk, eclectic music, and the family
oriented Saturday Light Brigade - - acoustic music aimed for the younger set
broadcast from new studios in the Children's Museum.

Those who didn't like what they heard didn't tune the entire dial.  Sure,
there's the usual mix of satellators and brokered programming.  But you'll find
what you want as well as something you won't find at home.  That's true for
every market.

As for TV, the 3 heritage TVs are literally in a continual 3-way race for #1.
 Although they focus a bit too much on the fire/shooting of the hour, they
don't rest on their laurels.

It's late.  So I'll shut-up and go to bed now.

Frank Gottlieb