[BC] Engineering School

Mario Hieb, P.E. mario
Tue Oct 4 00:39:07 CDT 2005

At 11:01 PM 10/3/2005, you wrote:
>    Does this occur in other subjects or just in engineering, or
> just some schools?
>    Is this the reason that America is falling behind other
> countries in `math and
>the sciences'?  (I keep hearing this on TV!)
>--
>     Ron

Probably a big contributor to the problem.

I think the "sink or swim" attitude in engineering school has several roots:

1. Professional birth control. Keep the numbers low and the salaries high(?)

2. Elitism. Look how smart I am...I graduated!!

3. The Real World. In the real world, you're on your own to solve
problems, so you might as well start now.

4. Bonding. Graduate engineers respect each other, because they all
went through the same hell. Kind of like WW2 veterans.

5. Team Building. Students have to work together to survive.

6. Professional Darwinism. Only the best get through.

7. The Work Ethic. Smart people can coast through high school. Teach
them what real work is.

8. Grace under pressure. See the true character of individuals.

9. Boot Camp. Tear people down and build them back up to your specifications.

and there are probably more...

Mario