[BC] Re: Engineering School Teachers

Xmitters@aol.com Xmitters
Mon Oct 3 10:24:24 CDT 2005

In a message dated 10/3/05 12:01:18 AM Central Daylight Time,
broadcast-request at radiolists.net writes:

<< The simple fact is that colleges have _proffessors_, not teachers, though a
 majority, incidentally, can teach--some, wonderfully. But a fair number of
 them fit the old adage that "those that can't _do_, teach; those that can't
 teach, become critics."  >>

Milton:

When dealing with a large group of people, you can find some that will fit
virtually any description. Professors and college instructors are no different.

It is not reasonable to assume that it is the instructor's fault when one or
even several students fail. There are a lot of people that are unwilling to do
the work. If they fail, they got what they deserve. NIU does not have classes
deliberately designed to "weed out" students. However, this university does
expect their students to work. There are tool courses for most if not all
majors. These tool courses could be considered as weed out classes only to the
extent that the students will know if they are cut out for the major after taking
one or two of them.

The large share of my instructors here at NIU were very good instructors. I
had one or two that did not get the word across very well. I then took it on
myself to seek out the help needed. Was the problem the instructor, or was the
problem me? Who knows. There were students in those classes that "got" it
without extra help.

Many times in many situations, people tend to blame the other guy rather than
looking in the mirror. A lot of that is human nature. There is greater chance
of success whenever I do _everything_ I can do myself, regardless of the
instructor, rather than finding fault. Maybe the instructor was most of the fault.
Focusing on the negative stuff would have cost me my formal education.

The beginning of this thread asked the question why engineers are not
thriving. Some of it has to do with the teaching pool. Some of it has to do with
students lacking the study skills and/or natural ability required to learn the
material. Some of it has to do with the lack of return for the time, money and
effort needed to get an engineering degree. Regardless of how hard or easy a
degree comes for a person, I think most young people today want to support their
family and have a life outside of work. Many times when people consider the
effort required versus the likely required hours at work, they conclude that
there must be an easier way.

Young people today are looking for a way to make a decent amount of $$$, have
reliable employment and still have time for their family and friends outside
of work, and how to secure such a line of work with the least effort. My step
daughter's (she's 17) friends rarely if ever talk about what they "love" to
do. It's what's the easiest way to make the most $$$.

Jeff Glass, BSEE CSRE
Chief Engineer
WNIU WNIJ