[BC] The craziest radio person I've heard about

Tom Bosscher tom
Sun Oct 2 17:02:38 CDT 2005

Thomas G. Osenkowsky wrote:

<>>I sat in Johnny's chair the following Monday morning.<>
 >But wait, there's more!

    Tom, as always, you take first prize for prose with truth.
    My GM from whatever, came from the years around 1977 to 1979 or so.
Grand Rapids, Michigan the market. The FM was a huge money maker, but
even the Class 4 AM pulled in good numbers. But what drove this owner/GM
was his liquid lunches with his buddies at his sons bar/restaurant. You
learned to disappear around 1:30-2pm when he came back. One day, the AM
went off the air. I was paged. And where was I? In Grand Haven, a
lakeshore town some 30-45 minutes away. And what was I doing? Installing
one of those old fashioned low band marine radios on one of his drinking
buddies boat. I found a phone, called in, and the Am PD was telling me
what was wrong when the owner took the phone from him. "How much longer
before you finish the boat?" "About 2 hours yet". "Stay there and finish
it!". Think the PD was streamed?

    In 18 months we went through seven operations managers. The best
story was a guy who was hired from out of town. Showed up on a Monday
morning at 9am, left for lunch and never came back! Someone snuck a
small blackboard on his door that said "Ops Mgr in chalk!

   tom bosscher