[BC] Re: Engineering school teachers

Xmitters@aol.com Xmitters
Sun Oct 2 16:56:04 CDT 2005

In a message dated 10/1/05 4:24:00 PM Central Daylight Time,
broadcast-request at radiolists.net writes:

<< > Dunno about that...don't recall that the bottom 50% got weeded out the
 > 1st semester, but I'd say that roughly half the class did not return for
 > the 2nd year of classes.  I thought I came away with a pretty good
 > education.

    It seems to me, he FAILED TO TEACH half of the people that signed up
 to learn from him/her.  No?
    I think the school would be BETTER if they had a teacher/s that could
 teach ALL of the students that signed up (and paid) to learn.  No?

    If I FAILED to fix half of everything that breaks at work,
 I wouldn't have lasted a month.
 --
     Ron

Ron:

I do not agree that the teacher failed to teach half the class. Many times,
students enter a major not knowing if they are cut out for engineering, in this
case. There is a high failure rate early on for a lot of reasons. This is
entirely different from the example you gave about fixing half of what breaks.
That difference is, you are in a line of work that you are cut out for and you
know that when you walk into a problem. This is not a fair comparison.

There are people that have no business in the teaching profession. However,
this fact does not mean that when little Johnny fails ELE-101 that the teacher
failed to teach him. Maybe the teacher did fail, but then maybe little Johnny
did not apply himself. Engineering classes require a lot of work and effort
and there are many people out there that do not want to do what it takes.

Jeff Glass, BSEE CSRE
WNIU WNIJ