[BC] Re: Another iBiquity goof

Rich Wood richwood
Sun Oct 2 11:47:29 CDT 2005

------ At 10:06 PM 10/1/2005, Paul Smith W4KNX wrote: -------

>The only possible reason to have an IBOC radio is to have multiple streams
>like NPR is doing.  An 80K BMW that only gets the primary channel is not
>going to cut it.  Listening to Rush Limbaugh rattle his paper thru his
>formerly nicotined stained fingers, cause I cant hear it when they cut the
>analog audio to 5K just aint gonna cut it either.

I think there might be a biological upside to 5KHz audio. When the
brain doesn't have to deal with all those extra frequencies it can
put all its power into remembering what high quality used to be and
recreate it. Call it the Medulla Codec. We only use a small part of
the brain. This might activate more of our brains as increased audio
computing power is required. The other advantage when dealing with
Limbaugh-type shows is that very little brain power is required. Like
codecs we hear the same material over and over, so the brain simply
replaces the missing information rather than using the auditory
system in real time. When you've heard "Democrats are bad" daily for
15 years, the ears are no longer necessary. Actually, the broadcast
isn't really necessary, but that's another matter, often called the
Medusa Codec. In the case of Sean Hannity, the brain just coasts
without any source of activity.

Since there appears to be no consumer demand for IBUZ BMW owners may
not even notice they've been cheated out of life-changing secondary
channels. For other manufacturers who actually provide receivers with
secondary channels I still say a good car salesman will suggest that
the Liberal side of right wing Conservatives will be found on those
channels. As they're doing with radio stations, I'm sure iBorg will
provide car salesmen with plenty of promotional material.

Rich