[BC] WORM-AM-FM Savannah, TN

Jerry Mathis thebeaver32
Sat Oct 1 22:47:57 CDT 2005

When I was there, the AM transmitter was a Gates 250-C-1, using 4 type 810
tubes, 2 as rf amps and 2 as modulators (common arrangement) the audio
drivers were a pair of 6L6's. The exciter was a separate rack-mount unit
that had two ceramic crystal ovens. A little thermometer came out of each
one, and there were wires embedded in the glass, so when the mercury rose
enough to touch both wires in the glass, the oven heater was cycled off
until the temperature (and the mercury) dropped, at which point the heater
turned back on.

There was a rack-mounted frequency monitor that drifted far more than the
actual operating frequency did.

The FM was an RCA FM-1-D as I recall. It had that famous RCA tube exciter in
it that had the compactron output tube. That thing was nothing but trouble.

Jerry Mathis
Clear Channel Radio, Tupelo & Meridian MS