[BC] Another iBiquity goof

Rich Wood richwood
Sat Oct 1 20:14:14 CDT 2005

------ At 06:06 PM 10/1/2005, Dan Strassberg wrote: -------

>I realize that software upgrades can be implemented in a variety of ways. It
>might, for example, be possible to transmit upgrades over the air (over
>stations that transmit HD Radio signals), but that approach might be just
>too complicated to be manageable. Mandating a USB (or comparable) port might
>be a better approach. With Wireless USB on the horizon, the problem of where
>to locate the connector may just go away. Yes, any version of USB will add
>cost, but the radios are expensive enough that a $15 increment in selling
>price should be acceptable to avoid premature obsolescense--or hobbling an
>unproven system with characteristics that prove to be unworkable and can't
>be changed economically.

That's heavy lifting and requires repeated contact with the great
unwashed. It also means fewer royalties when you don't have to buy a
new unit. With iBorg's seemingly endless list of license fees I would
doubt a free or inexpensive firmware upgrade wouldn't be worth the
effort. In many cases an upgrade has to happen perfectly or the unit
is disabled. Any interruption in the process renders the unit
useless. I've found that to be the case with routers. I doubt car
dealers would want to get involved. Assuming all 1.5 billion
receivers will be upgraded every time a flaw is detected after 2030 a
huge facility would be needed just for a mailroom. Over the air
upgrades are dangerous. How many receivers will be in bad signal
areas and switch to analog in the middle of the process?

I was under the impression our formerly brilliant FCC Chairman, Mr.
Powell, dreamed of a software receiver that could be transformed into
anything via firmware changes. Remember, premature obsolescence is
the American way. It's a good thing. Even an apprentice knows that.

Rich