[BC] Re: Gray Tone Arms

khcs@juno.com khcs
Sat Oct 1 17:28:59 CDT 2005

Jim elucidated:

>Not odd at all, because that Gray arm weighed-in at about a pound.  The
damping fluid did indeed keep it from 'bouncing.'  But much lighter arms
with good vertical compliance could follow warps well.  That's why the
GE "Baton" and, as a matter of note, another arm from Gray (that was
vertically-pivoted 'up front') worked so well on deformed 45s.  The
MicroTrak was also pretty good, if I recall.

Yes.  When I was at WDIZ they used Gray arms, and one day I came in and was instructed to replace them with a couple of Micro-Trak (IIRC) arms they had just purchased.  Having done so, I discovered that they did not work.  You see, the TT's were mounted on a counter attached to the wall.  The monitor speakers were likewise mounted to the wall.  I went to Skycraft and got some shockmounts for the TT's and tried numerous things, but never could get them to work while the speakers were on.

Glen Kippel
KHCS
Palm Desert, CA