[BC] call letters and what they stand for

Jerry Mathis thebeaver32
Sat Oct 1 13:13:38 CDT 2005

My first job in commercial radio was at WORM-AM-FM in Savannah, TN. At the
time, Savannah was noted for its "worm ranches" for the sport fishing
industry (Pickwick Lake and Kentucky Lake on the Tennessee River were close
by).

I like to say that I started at an "underground" station  :)

I helped start an educational FM in the same area. The man behind the
station wanted to get call letters named for his mother, Dorothy Kramer
Nielsen (call letters would have been WDKN). However, those call letters
were in use just a few miles up the road in Dickson, TN, so he settled for
WDNX.

WORM is still in use by the AM in Savannah, although I believe the FM has
different calls now. And the WDKN call is available on FM, last time I
checked, although the station founder is deceased and no one is really
interested in making a change.

Jerry Mathis
Clear Channel Radio, Tupelo & Meridian MS