[BC] WKRP - The Phone Cops!

Joseph M. Davis Joseph.Davis
Sat Oct 1 08:19:45 CDT 2005

------ At 11:58 PM 9/30/05 -0400, Scott Fybush wrote: -------
It's my understanding that the "transmitter site" scenes - there was
at least the one episode where the power went out and Johnny had to
broadcast from the tower site, with Bucky's help - were NOT shot

While the "Turkey Drop" was a classic episode, one of my favorites
was when there was a bomb threat to WKRP, so Johnny & Venus went to
the TX site to broadcast so the studio could be evacuated.  While
there, Johnny got upset talking to his bookie and destroyed the
transmitter site's phone with a toolbox.  By then the studio staff
figured that the bomb was really at the transmitter but they couldn't
get though on the phone, so they notified police to save Johnny &
Venus.  When Johnny heard the sirens coming he was convinced that the
PHONE COPS were coming to get him for smashing the phone.

Back in the day when Ma Bell knew and controlled everything....  a classic!

Joe Davis

Joseph M. Davis, P.E.
Cavell, Mertz & Davis, Inc.
Broadcast & Communications Consulting Engineers
www.cmdconsulting.com