[BC] WKRP-Herb Tarlek

David Gleason david
Sat Oct 1 06:02:38 CDT 2005

Jerry Blum, the GM of WQXI, was a paid story consultant for WKRP. He was the
one who gathered the radio lore, truth and not so true, and suggested ideas
to the writers. Among the stories Jerry suggested was the KENR Houston
turkey drop, one of the best episodes and totally based on fact... the
promotion, done by PD Jay Blackburn, lasted through two turkeys... first one
knocked an awning off a store, second went through the roof of a car.
Apparently, folks thought all turkeys flew, just like the wild ones some of
the staffers would hunt in S. Texas... so they bought a bunch of live
farm-raised turkeys, loaded them on a plane, and "let the loose" over the
sponsoring shopping center. A farm-raised turkey has the aerodynamics of a
bowling ball, of course... and thus the episode.

-----Original Message-----
From: broadcast-bounces at radiolists.net
[mailto:broadcast-bounces at radiolists.net] On Behalf Of John Buffaloe
Sent: Saturday, October 01, 2005 3:08 AM
To: broadcast at radiolists.net
Subject: [BC] WKRP-Herb Tarlek

Actually Kevin, the whole WKRP thing was based on WQXI in Atlanta, and the
Herb Tarlek character was taken from Clarke Brown.  Clarke used to have a
pair of white dress shoes on a shelf full of memorabilia behind his desk in
San Diego when he was GM of KSON AM/FM as a reminder of his wilder dressing
days.  His name escapes my aging memory but the character of "the big guy"
was taken from the GM at QXI.  The show was conceived by a QXI employee who
announced he was leaving for Hollywood to follow his dream of creating a
show about a radio station.  The turkey episode was based on an actual
promotion WQXI did where they drove through a neighborhood releasing live
turkeys, and people were literally ripping the birds apart fighting over
them.

John Buffaloe
Have screw driver, will travel

I could swear it was the WKRC-AM tower which I thought would have been
ironic.  Can't remember who told me this but it was someone who knew a
lot of background... Some of WKRP was inspired by WKRC, specifically
Herb Tarlek and some of the story lines.  Anyone that used to work at
WKRC verify any of this??