[BC] Harris Airwave Console

Cowboy curt
Tue May 31 05:39:30 CDT 2005

On Tuesday 31 May 2005 00:07, Jerry Mathis wrote:
> Well, they've made transmitters for some time that require a battery.
> Someone made the comment they REALLY didn't want to have to tell the GM
> that the transmitter went off the air because the battery ran down   :)

 Generally, they won't.
 The battery in that case, only maintains the memory of the last
 state when power fails, so that it comes back in the same state.

> From: DANA PUOPOLO <dpuopolo at usa.net>

> >Imagine that....
> >an air console that runs on batteries!

 Well, it isn't =supposed= to run on batteries, but.....

> From: Fred Gleason <fredg at salemradiolabs.com>

> >Have you checked the batteries?
> >
> >Yes, belive it or not, the Airwave (along with the Impulse and many of the
> >transmitter models made by Harris) require alkaline batteries (either AA
> > or 9v, depending upon model) in order to function correctly.

 Fred is absolutely correct with regard to the consoles.
 All sorts of nasties can happen with bad batteries in these series consoles.

 What surprises me, is the total lack of consistancy in the way they behave
 with bad or missing batteries.
 Some are fine, some will start but not play, some won't start at all, some get
 noisy, some just go bonkers.
 Seems completely unpredictable what any particular console will do if/when
 the batteries get weak, or while being changed.