[BC] Re: KHQ radio Tower on top of Davenport

Jeffrey Kopp jeffreykopp
Fri May 27 17:09:11 CDT 2005

>Just out of curiosity, how many stations still on the air in the USA are
>on top of buildings?  Does anyone know?
>
>Bill Harms

KXA Seattle transmitted from a wire strung between two masts atop the 4- or
6-story Arcade Building (originally Rhodes Dept. Store), at 237 Union, from
5/1/28 until about 1986. Power was 500 watts. Originally on 760kc, moved to
770.

I remember gazing with some puzzlement upon this weird looking anachronism,
twenty stories below my office window, in 1984. It was obviously
medium-wave, and I couldn't believe it was an active broadcast station; I
presumed it was a coastal harbor station, perhaps disused, until I learned
it was KXA.

On Googling around I discovered it's a NGS Benchmark denominated "Rhodes
West Radio Tower."  It may still stand, as I found mention of it as a
"point of interest" on a Website of Pike Market neighborhood photography
(but regrettably, no picture of the tower; and I couldn't squint it on
TerraServer or Google's Satellite Maps).

If it remains I doubt it is used any longer; KXA's call changed to KRPM in
1986, and that frequency is now the 50kW KTTH, apparently radiated from
somewhere down toward Puyallup.