[BC] could someone explain this to me?

Fred Gleason fredg
Fri May 27 09:35:38 CDT 2005

On Friday 27 May 2005 04:28, Donna Halper wrote:
> My question is not so much about whether any of you agree or disagree with
> Michael Savage.  It's more about radio programming, and airing a show that
> features what, in my opinion, are some rather hateful rants. Savage is
> certainly the most controversial of all the right wing talk hosts, which in
> and of itself is not necessarily a bad thing-- controversy can attract
> listeners.  But what worries me is that he says some of the most bigoted
> things I have ever heard.  So what is the reason why his show seems to be
> growing in popularity, and what does that say about what the public wants?

It's basic human nature.  'Bad news' always sells, 'good news' gets a yawn.
Nor does Mr. Savage have a monopoly on all the venom -- just tune 'Air
America' sometime for an example of the same stuff from a leftist
perspective.  He does tend to give 'conservative' talkers a bad name though,
even though many of them (e.g. Dennis Praeger or Michael Medved) do very
though-provoking shows without all the name calling [shameless Company plug
here].

Of course, my old boss in New York always used to say that if the station
didn't get at least one bomb threat a week, it meant that we weren't reaching
our audience, so I guess there may be some logic in the Savage/Air America
strategy as well...  :)

Cheers!

| Frederick F. Gleason, Jr. | Director of Broadcast Software Development  |
|                           |             Salem Radio Labs                |
|              You cannot shake hands with a clenched fist.               |
|                                           -- Indira Ghandi              |