[BC] Favored UPS units

WFIFeng@aol.com WFIFeng
Thu May 26 22:08:29 CDT 2005

In a message dated 05/26/2005 12:53:40 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
jyrussell at academicplanet.com writes:

> Which brand UPS units do you prefer for your servers, and why?
>
>  I am finally getting to shop for some new ones; I'm comparing APC versus
>  Oneac and Belkin for starters.  I'd like to stay away from brands that
>  can't handle all the various powerconditioning and pretty regular
>  spikes... but don't necessarily need "medical grade" units...  (for
>  example... the last SyCom somebody smart bought me and told me to use
>  lasted for 1 ONE 1 hit... ! Now it's just a surge protector strip!)

I would stick with APC . Tripplite is to be avoided at all costs.

I posted something about this not too long ago. It's probably in the
archives.

To summarize: I have had VERY poor experiences with two very different
Tripplite units. They both do the same thing: Continuous drain on the battery, with
a continuously cycling, pulsed-DC recharge. When the battery gets weak (only
about a year, due to this constant abuse) the unit will begin cycling the AC
power on and off at the same rate that the unit applies that charging pulse.
APC's do not do this, and their batteries last several years, easily.

One of those Tripplite units is now nothing more than a surge-protected
outlet strip. I ripped-out all of the UPS circuitry. Trash. (That particular unit
was "protecting" my Unity 4000 satellite receivers. One morning I came in and
found them going on/off every 2 seconds. Needless to say, *nothing* got
recorded that night.)

Willie...