[BC] Favored UPS units

Cowboy curt
Thu May 26 19:08:43 CDT 2005

On Thursday 26 May 2005 19:51, Bernie Courtney wrote:
> what APC unit are you using for this, and care to share more specifics
> on your boat battery setup?  sounds like something that'd work nicely
> for my home server rack.

 SmartUPS 1400RM

 They use a 24 vold battery pack, so.....
 ( APC tech support insists that the float voltage on a 24V pack is 13.7 V
 so they are about useless )

 Chop the connector off the ups batts when they died, and spliced
 parallel #8 ( it's what I had handy ) to the pig tails for + and -.

 Two Everstart 100AH deep-cycle boat batts in series to the doubled
 #8 "extensions".
 Just ran the wire through the batt access door, and left it open.
 Could plug factory batts back in at any time, but they cost as much
 as the boat batteries, and they are only 7 AH !

 Took two or three power failures to calibrate the unit, as a cal run isn't
 intended for batts this large, and a cal run is bad for the batts.
 It still only shows about 1 1/2 hours run time on 100% charge at
 27% load ( three machines, 17 inch CRT monitor and room light )
 but actual power outages show about 6 hours real run time without
 the room light and CRT.