[BC] Attack of the Demon Dimmers

Tom Taggart tpt
Thu May 26 15:36:02 CDT 2005

The old GE 600 watt dimmer died on the chandelier above the dining room
table.  Complaints drove me to the local hardware store for a
replacement.   They had a Trimatron Model 700 made in some Chinese factory
for Levitron.

Has three wires--hot/load and ground.  Unlike the old GE dimmer.  Hooked
up the two black wires, dimmer worked, but horrific noise all across the
AM band.  Where to hook the ground--would that help?  Well, my house was
built in in 1955, but the other switch in the box had a neutral
connection, hooked up the ground to that. No change in AM noise.  The
noise is so bad that I can hear it on a local kilowatt daytimer on my car
radio just outside the house. Part 15?  WE don't need no part 15.

I'm going to the electrical supply place next town overand see what I can
find, this thing is going in the trash.  Or maybe I can drill out the
rivet & find a new SCR for the GE.  Unfortunately, there must be hundreds
of thousands of these things already out there.