[BC] Favored UPS units

Mark W. Croom markc
Thu May 26 13:12:43 CDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike McCarthy" <Towers at mre.com>
Sent: Thursday, May 26, 2005 12:30 PM
Subject: RE: [BC] Favored UPS units

> All of the various UPS's suffers from some problems here and there. And
> since Powerware bought BEST, I've seen a decline in their quality of
> product.  I sure wish they'd come out with a new line of Ferrups devices
> which don't shut down the UPS if the batteries fail.
>
> MM

Though these devices aren't in the same class as Ferrups type supplies, I've
seen a similar annoying symptom.

My predecessor here bought some of the CyberPower cheapie standby power
supply units When they battery runs out, they die (like other UPS's), but if
the battery voltage isn't over a threshold when the power returns, they
remain off and just recharge the battery. Once the battery has some charge,
you can cycle the power and then they'll run, but really...we put a UPS on
because we wanted the thing to be ON as much as possible.

I think I understand the idea that if it's at somebody's desk and craps out
in the night, it might be nice in the morning to know that the power was out
during the night, or if the battery gave out, but I had one of these at an
unattended microwave relay site on top of a grain elevator head house. The
second time I got called after a power outage to go up there and cycle the
power, I replaced it with an APC of similar size and haven't been back
except for normal maintenance since then.

*sigh*

Mark
MN