[BC] Favored UPS units

Hershberger, Dave DHershberger
Thu May 26 12:03:47 CDT 2005

Don't get a Belkin. I have one and it has a stupid design. When operating on
AC power, it can't handle the degaussing surge on my NEC 21" CRT monitor. So
if I plug my monitor into the UPS outlet, then turn on the monitor, the
stupid Belkin UPS will KILL POWER TO THE COMPUTER.

I think it's an 800VA UPS.

I could understand the UPS not being able to supply the surge when operating
on battery power, but for crying out loud, it's just stupid to kill the
utility power to the computer when the monitor degausses. That defeats the
whole purpose of the UPS.

If you don't use a CRT monitor the Belkins may be OK.

Dave Hershberger
Principal Engineer
AXCERA
Tel: 530-272-HDTV (4388)
Fax: 530-272-4505
dhershberger at axcera.com <mailto:dhershberger at axcera.com>
AXCERA. Axcessing the new era of digital communications. www.axcera.com
960 McCourtney Road, Suite C, Grass Valley, CA 95949-7423