[BC] Lightning

Ron Youvan ka4inm
Wed May 25 20:56:23 CDT 2005

> Wow, then how DO you deal with multiple hits in a place like Florida?
> Do you have to rebury the ground rod now and then?  I would think the
> ground resistance meter that the power company folks have would be real
> valuable for you then.  Curious to know the answer!

   There are "nondestructive" ground quality testers that induce a square
wave into the cable connected to ground rods, they measure in Ohms.
   When enough ground rods fail (over 5 or 10 Ohms) we have all poorly
functioning rods dug up, the top cut off and another 20 foot rod pounded
down on top of the old rods, this breaks up the crystallized sand and adds
20 good clean feet near the surface where the rain water is.
   Each rod is measured with every other ground rod (and the power grid's
grounds) in parallel on the other side of the meter.
--
    Ron