[BC] BPL flaws

Bill Sepmeier dcpowerandlight
Tue May 24 21:06:45 CDT 2005

>Around here there are D.C. power supplies connected to gas lines.  I
>believe
>they counteract the tendency for the metal in the pipes to corrode.  ISTR
>the plan to use gas pipes for internet access involves running optical
>fiber
>inside the plumbing.  It leads one to wonder if the same could be done with
>sewer pipes.

LOL!  I'm reminded of a funny book about one woman's experiences in 1930's
radio called "Of Mics And Men" - in which she told how her station's chief
engineer disliked using AT&T so much that he'd flush a tennis ball with a
string tied securely on it  into the sewer line and then run down the street
to fish it out at a local hotel that wanted to do live remotes once a
week.... the string, of course, would pull the requsite wire through....

IIRC, the same engineer once used the railroad tracks to do remotes from a
nearby town, but of course things didn't work so well once the train came...
  :-)