[BC] (Fwd) cell phone interference?

Dwayne Walker dwayne
Tue May 24 15:22:01 CDT 2005

We used to have virtually no problem with having analog cell phones in our studios. Then we got a package deal from a carrier using TDMA. That was the end of cell phones in the studios. It was worse when a call was first coming in although the remainder of the call caused problems too.

I'm kind of a crank about turning my cell off. I'm on call 24/7. I use the vibrator...but that simply keeps the ringer from audibly bothering others. The RF in close proximity appears to be a problem with some other devices.

OK. I just took my Sprint Sanyo phone into production. Set it on the Radio Systems board then waved it near different pieces of equipment including Sennheiser microphones. There wasn't so much as a peep in the headphones or speakers from any of the studio equipment. I could never have done that with the previous phones using TDMA. The two carriers use different modulation, somewhat different frequencies and the power can vary. Still I would have expected some RF to get into studio gear based on the previous experience.

Dwayne
KTIG-FM

-----Original Message-----
From: broadcast-bounces at radiolists.net
[mailto:broadcast-bounces at radiolists.net]On Behalf Of Barry Rueger
Sent: Monday, May 02, 2005 5:36 PM
To: broadcast Radio Mailing List
Subject: [BC] (Fwd) cell phone interference?

Form another list.  Comments anyone?

Barry

To:             	AIRDAILY at packard38.webcrossing.com
Subject:        	cell phone interference?

Am I crazy, or is it possible for the signals that cause cell phones
to ring or vibrate also cause electronic noise or interference in
field recordings onto mini disc or flash cards?

I remember hearing some weird fuzzyness, almost like a beeping or
little electronic revilee that I thought was a short in my machine,
but then my interviewee reached for his phone, the ringer of which
was switched off. It was only when listening to the recording later
that I made the potential connection. Now, the same noise has shown
up on a recording one of our reporters made on a Marantz PMD 660 -

Should I start asking interviewees to switch their phones completely
off while I record, or am I just nuts.

Barry Rueger                     905-308-9179
107 Victoria Avenue South    fax 905-308-9732
Hamilton, Ontario L8N 2S9    cel 905-979-6677
http://www.community-media.com
Blog: http://www.threesquirrels.com