[BC] Power Line Noise (was: BPL)

Rob Atkinson ranchorobbo
Tue May 24 08:38:40 CDT 2005

Around 2 years ago I looked into getting one of those ultrasonic detectors
but they were real expensive--several thousand dollars as I recall.  Even
the clear plastic dish was around 6 or 8 hundred bucks.   I've used an AM
aviation receiver on around 110 to 120 mhz and a radio shack FM broadcast
band yagi to DF the sources.  the only problem is that when I'm walking
around with this stuff, especially after dark, wearing headphones and waving
the yagi around the cops start looking at me more closely.   Fortunately I
don't have to do this very often.

Rob Atkinson

From: "Tom Taggart" <tpt at eurekanet.com>
To: Broadcast at radiolists.net
Subject: [BC] Power Line Noise (was: BPL)
Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 19:46:55 -0400

My friend and former business partner has been playing with a neat device
made up of an ultrasonic mike & "downconverter" to locate noisy poles.
He's works 6 sideband, mostly (call: KB8ZMJ) and of course the noise  drives
him crazy. Allows him to narrow down most noise sources to the  particular
pole which he can then report to the power company.

Local troubleshooter for the power company is very cooperative--when his
supervisor allows him to be.  Device located a pole recently where two
feeders crossed at right angles on the same pole.  There was an small arc
that had been slowly burning away on the pole under the cross bars.  The
pole was about ready to break in two.

http://www.radiolists.net/