[BC] Is broadcast engineering a profession?

Phil Alexander dynotherm
Mon May 23 20:01:21 CDT 2005

On 23 May 2005 at 11:15, Mario Hieb, P.E. wrote:

> Yes, because like other professions, there are life, safety and property
> issues at stake. Often, the station engineer is the only one who knows
> about the RFR issue or lightning safety.

Exactly, and his knowledge makes him aware of professionals in those
areas who can do that part of the design work.

> When broadcast engineers stop mowing lawns and start doing real
> engineering work, they will earn the respect they think they deserve.

> >  First there is no particular set of qualifications for entry into the
> >field.
>
> Yes, and this is a problem.

Why? We have had no particular set of qualifications for 85 years, and NOW,
it's a problem?

The truth is there is a set of qualifications or skill set for AM and one
for FM, and most of us recognize the basic skills when we see them in
others. The SBE has brought a degree of standardization to this by looking
at both knowledge and experience for the advanced certifications.

> The Super Bowl is an interloper, not an incumbent. They hold STA licenses
> and are responsible for any interference that may occur.

It's not a question of who is responsible for the screw up, it is a question
of working professionally to be sure there is no screw up.

> If the circus comes to town and the lions get loose, is it the fault of the
> Police Department? No.

It is the job of the local PD to protect the public, so YES, if they don't
check the circus as it unloads, they are partially at fault. But again,
PROFESSIONALS work together to make sure the lions DON'T get loose.

> You make a good point about whether or not broadcast engineering is or
> should be a profession. Maybe it really isn't. Perhaps it's the tech's that
> do the dirty work that do most of the heavy lifting.

Broadcast engineering encompasses a group of technologies and professions.
It is a unique and highly specialized set. Some of the work is essentially
the same as that done by professional engineers, some of it gets down and
dirty into the nuts and bolts, and all of it must be done to make a station
play. That's why SBE certification is a good start, and why state licensing
would IMHO accomplish nothing good.

Phil Alexander, CSRE, AMD
(a Div. of Advanced Parts Corporation)
Ph. (317) 335-2065   FAX (317) 335-9037