[BC] Look Professional and Be Professional

Jack Gardner zx422
Mon May 23 16:41:53 CDT 2005

...Glen wrote:
> Yup, I had to learn that the hard way.  If you always show up for work in
> a T-shirt and blue jeans, you will get the Rodney Dangerfield Syndrome --
> NO RESPECT!  No need to wear a suit and tie.  A pair of khakis and white
> or tan polo shirt from a discount store don't cost any more than the
> T-shirt and jeans, and at least you look decent.  If you're dressed for
> digging ditches, don't be surprised if someone asks you to dig a ditch.
>
> Glen Kippel

   Reluctantly I weigh in on this.  As one who has done it all, from digging
trenches while constructing a new station to doing the really dirty work to
recondition transmitters (50 kW to 1 kW) to taking field measurements to wiring
studios to installing and maintaining communications systems to handling plumbing
problems to climbing towers (not too far up)....all while I was president and CEO of
the company, I think I've earned the right to speak out.

   A truly professional broadcast engineer presents two things in addition to
technical competency:  professional attitude and professional appearance.  The
persons I employed were imbued with enthusiasm, a willingness to cogently present
their ideas and to truly act as as part of the team.  They, as did I, always carried
work clothes and footwear in their cars so they were prepared to undertake whatever
tasks were necessary.  Otherwise, the CE was dressed similarly to the sales and
management staff.  There was virtually never a meeting or other event where the CE
was not included, including stockholder meetings.

   Guess why the following types never got hired for engineering or air staff:
1.  The person who bad-mouthed their previous employers
2.  The person who asked early in an interview, "How much vakayshun do ah git?"
3.  The person with the "Where's the shop steward?" attitude
4.  The person who showed up in the ubiquitous wrinkled plaid (often dirty) shirt
and jeans with run-over dirty sneakers, who was in need of a haircut and shave
5.  The person whose car/truck interior looked like a homeless camp.

   Both in my domestic and international properties, the CE was provided with the
same perks and privileges as other management members.  Trade for a new TV or
computer or restaurants or family travel?  Certainly.  It was understood that since
the CE was paid better than anyone else in the market, the technical side of the
businesses would always be outstanding.  By the way, sales and on-air staff were all
required to work at least one shift with the CE, day or night as needed, at least
once a year.  Also, equipment abuse was grounds for immediate termination,
regardless of job title, and as agreed to in writing at time of hiring.  Yes, it
happened -- once!

   A final thought:  whiners are never winners.

Jack Gardner
Sacramento