[BC] BPL flaws

Dave mrfixit
Mon May 23 12:28:38 CDT 2005

> ... The
> article points out the real problem: deployment will start in cities,
> because that's where the money is.  Rural service will still be costly,
and
> there are no guarantees that service will ever move to the outlying areas.
>
> Ron Castro
> Chief Technical Officer
> Results Radio, LLC

It's been my experience that internet access in two of the cities I've
looked into (Santa Clara (north of Eugene), Or and Lacey (adjacent to
Olympia), Wa) are FAR behind us out here in the hinterland of the upper
midwest (North Dakota).  I can get broadband at about 3-5 mb access speed
via either cable or DSL (advertised as at least 1mb) for about $30/month. In
both cities mentioned above, the "broadband" access was about 256kb and at
about $50/month. Now, the last time I checked either of these two metro
locations was about two years ago, but that is the data as available then.

The rural areas of the state seem to be covered by either DSL or wireless
from all the local TELCO co-ops.

So I've never seen any logical justification for the BPL bandwagon. Now, I
have coffee with several guys, one being the local TELCO sales rep, who
tells us that broadband over GAS LINES is next as BPL was causing too much
interference. Fiber to the neighborhood, then broaband to the house over the
natural gas pipe.

If nothing else comes of it, that ought to make the "one call" locate easier
to do.....

Dave Dunsmoor